Nobody likes paying bills. Not you, not your tenants, so why not do yourself (and your tenants) a favor and find a way on how to reduce your monthly utilities expenses? Your tenants will like the lower cost of their utility bill, so you can keep good tenants and draw in more with your competitive utility rates. At first, it might seem that these monthly costs are entirely determined by how much your tenants use them, but that is not the case. There are plenty of ways you can lower the utility bills and keep everybody happy without harping on your tenants to turn off the lights when they leave the house.
Making Your North Houston Property More Efficient
One of the most effective ways to cut down on monthly utility costs is by making changes to your rental property. If you strive to make the house, condo, or whatever kind of rental property you own more efficient, the changes you make will automatically save you money in monthly utilities. Some of the changes are small and do not require much time to install.
- Purchase programmable thermostats. These thermostats can save 30% on heating and cooling bills. If you have a gas system, that is $300 yearly savings. If your system is electric, that’s nearly $700.
- Replace the light bulbs in the house with LED or fluorescent bulbs. This can save almost $100 yearly.
- Install heavy window treatments for additional insulation, or if you are looking for a more permanent solution, put caulk and/or weather stripping around your windows to keep the outside air out. This is especially important in the hot, Houston summers when the climbing temperatures outside force your air conditioning units to work much harder.
- Replace shower fixtures for low-flow shower heads.
If you are looking to make bigger changes and spend some money up front to save money later, there are plenty of good options for major renovations or upgrades that will help cut your monthly utilities costs.
- Replace drafty windows.
- Purchase new, efficient appliances.
- Purchase and install an evaporative cooler, also known as a swamp cooler, to save money on heating and cooling.
- Do some yard work. Purchase and plant leafy trees to keep the house shady in the summer. When the leaves fall off in the winter, no unnecessary cooling will occur. Planting evergreen shrubs around the foundation of your rental property for additional insulation.
- Replace your water heater with a new, tankless version. Tank-free water heaters are up to 35% more effective than water heaters with tanks.
- Installing awnings or overhangs over the windows keep the sun from shining directly into the property and driving up cooling costs.
Small Cost-Free Changes
If you do not have money to put into making your rental property more efficient, there are still ways to reduce the expense of monthly utilities. Before you hand the property over to your renters, you can lower the temperature of the water heater. It is unlikely that a tenant would raise the temperature on their own, especially since the standard temperature is set to 140 degrees, a temperature too hot for human skin. Every degree you lower saves a dollar every month. Cleaning out the HVAC vents and ducts and replacing filters regularly helps them to function more efficiently. Your refrigerator works the same way, clean out the vents and fan before handing the keys over to your renter.
Maximize Efficiency, and Keyrenter Will Market Every Change You Make
Keyrenter North Houston Property Management can help you set the appropriate rent and utilities rates that will help you maximize on all of the efficiency changes you make. We also offer property inspections that can help you see additional changes you can make you reduce utility costs even further. It is easy to make changes that will save you and your tenant’s money on monthly utilities, so why not start saving money today? Call our team today at (281) 972-5000.